Both the Labour Party and Liberal Democrats have recently consulted on their criminal justice policy.
SCYJ responded to the consultations setting out our position and recommendations around priority areas of the youth justice system.
In particular, SCYJ would like to see:
- The minimum age of criminal responsibility significantly increased
- A commitment to maximise diversion and minimise contact with the criminal justice system, in lieu of welfare-based service provision
- Investment in community-based, child-centred responses to children in trouble with the law
- A significant reduction in numbers of children deprived of their liberty, and the closure of all penal custodial establishments
- Criminal records and anonymity law reformed to promote reintegration
- Child-centred courts that promote understanding and participation
Read our full response here.