We’re looking to welcome a number of new people to join our active and committed Board at an exciting time for the organisation.
If you work with children and young people with experience of the youth justice system and are passionate about creating positive change, this opportunity might be for you. Application packs for Board Members are here.
This is also the first time that we have recruited for Young Board Members, a role that is especially important for the organisation and the Board. If you are a young person with an interest in and/or experience of the youth justice system, check out the application pack here.
About the SCYJ
SCYJ is an alliance of organisations working to improve the youth justice system in England and Wales. We are looking for new Board Members who share our aim of advocating for a distinct and child-focused justice system that tackles the underlying causes of offending, respects rights and promotes positive long-term outcomes.
About the Role of a Board Member
These rewarding and stimulating roles will require attendance at four Board and Members’ meetings per year. Board meetings are held in London, reasonable expenses are reimbursed, and there are opportunities to attend some meetings remotely. Board members also participate in the life of the organisation between Board meetings, advising the staff team and acting in an ambassadorial role for the SCYJ. The position is advertised for a period of three years.
SCYJ actively promotes equality of opportunity for all and encourages applications from a wide range of candidates, including those with criminal records and those with experience of the areas we cover. The SCYJ seeks to ensure diversity in its Board as well as in its staff base and consideration will be given to ways in which groups that are under-represented on the Board might be reached and encouraged to apply. SCYJ select all candidates based on their skills, qualifications, experience, and ability to do the role advertised.
Who we are looking for…
We are looking for a number of individuals to join our active and committed Board, and we have identified some areas where we are keen to diversify the expertise and experience of our team. We welcome applications from people based across England and Wales
We particularly encourage applications from:
• Representatives of organisations who are currently members of the SCYJ, or from organisations who are interested in joining us
• Young people with an interest in and/or experience of the youth justice system, particularly those between 18 and 25
• People with experience of grassroots and community-based frontline work with children and young people
• Individuals with expertise around communications, branding, and marketing
• Individuals with financial expertise who are interested in becoming our next Treasurer
• We want to strengthen our work to address racial and ethnic disparities in the youth justice system, and would welcome applications from those with experience and expertise of these issues
Interested and want to find out more?
If you wish to have an informal and confidential discussion, please contact Hannah Smithson, Chair of the Board, on 07811 421632 or Gess Horner-Aird, Deputy Chair, on 07912 034322.
Please also feel free to contact our Director, Pippa Goodfellow email@example.com to find out more about the organisation and our work.