SCYJ has written a briefing outlining our priorities for a youth justice system that respects children’s rights and supports every young person out of trouble.
Our priorities include:
- Increasing the minimum age of criminal responsibility
- Maximising diversion and minimising contact with the criminal justice system
- Investment in community-based, child-centred responses to children in trouble with the law
- Reducing the number of children deprived of their liberty and the closure of all penal custodial establishments
- Reforming childhood criminal records and anonymity law to promote reintegration
- Ensuring courts are child-centred and promote understanding and participation
Read the full briefing here.