The Criminal Justice and Courts (CJC) Bill contains provisions on the introduction of secure colleges – a new form of youth detention. The Children’s Right Alliance for England (CRAE), Howard League for Penal Reform (HL) and Standing Committee for Youth Justice (SCYJ) are seriously concerned by aspects of the government’s plans for secure colleges.
Together, we have produced briefings for the Bill’s Committee Stage on amendments to the Bill which would address some of our concerns, namely:
- Amendments to prevent children in secure colleges being restrained to preserve good order and discipline, and to specify the circumstances in which restraint can be used.
- Amendments to prevent children under-15 and girls from being held in secure colleges.
- Amendments to require secure college custody officers to assess and promote the best interests of detained children.
- Amendments to ensure there continue to be adequate places in Secure Children’s Homes for detained children who need them.
The full briefings can be seen here:
- Restraint amendments briefing
- Under-15s and girls amendments briefing
- Welfare of children amendments briefing
- Secure Children’s Home amendments briefing